IKIGAI - Something that's a reason enough to get up in the morning!!!!

My Favorite Quote from the book:

“Embarrassment and errors are part of doing meaningful things. It's not such a big deal, really. Keep in mind you're going to die. It puts things into perspective. Mild discomfort? Who cares, you're going to f***ing DIE at some point. DO SOME COOL STUFF BEFORE THAT HAPPENS”

"Who am I? I'm a little crazy, to tell you the truth. You kind of have to be to get anything done in the world." - This is how Sebastian describes himself in Ikigai, and it's basically what drew me toward him and this book. I like people who get things done, who move things, who shift views and change perspectives, and Sebastian Marshall is very much this type of person. Sure, he talks much (so do I, right?), but he's got much to say.
The word IKIGAI comes to us from Japan - land of the samurai, intense death-defying effort, masterful artistry, harmony with nature, and devoting yourself obsessively to a path.

Ikigai's closest meaning is *raison d'ĂȘtre* in French – “what one lives for, what makes your life worth living, why you inhale and exhale each breath”

But Ikigai goes further than that, to the point where your passions and obsessions can consume you - Think of the artist or inventor all-consumed by his work, the boxer who lays his body and mind on the line in every fight, or the gardener whose mind is perfectly still among his creation.

Ikigai - Something that's a reason enough to get up in the morning. It can be termed as an intersection of 'What you love', 'What the world needs', 'What you can be paid for' and 'What you're good at'. All these things combined makes as your Ikigai.
The book talks about purpose, longevity, growth, health, diet, stress, anxiety, the art of living and a lot more. You name it and it's there. It consists of conversations with people, which really questions the toxicity you indulge in at a regular interval in your life.

We as a generation are living a dead life if not worse, struggling through each day to find peace and purpose but with this book around it'll be easier, trust me. You can go through each chapter a day or even two days and try to engulf the most of it. You'll most definitely come out of it wanting to live more and better.

The book says don’t just sit, do something, whatever that motivates you, that keeps you going!!!
I enjoyed reading it and would definitely recommend it to those who need to find motivation in life.

I think anyone, in any profession and any situation will find something useful in Ikigai. Another bonus is that Sebastian is giving his share of profits to charity. Personally, I'll be keeping this book, referring to it from time to time when I need motivation or I need help strategizing (yes, people with goals need a strategy. I realize this now) and as a reference. Marshall recommends several books and authors that offer a different point of view on life or that tell a fascinating history. Knowledge of any kind is always useful.
Buy Ikigai and read it.

Maybe you'll still be among the stupid when you're through, but there's a chance you'll no longer be one of the oblivious. 

Some of the Learnings:
"I would like to make a generational impact on the world. This requires that everyone around me treat me very well or get out of my life."

"I think most people are at, maybe, 10% of their max capability. Probably more like 2%. That's where most of my life I've been. Lately I'm near 40-50%? It's intense. Better technology, better coordination, better planning is all necessary."

"I achieve all this because I've cut all the bullshit out of my life and do basically whatever I want each day. I don't surf the net, my entertainment is reading, writing, and connecting with smart people."

"We're on the planet for a brief blink of an eye, a single warm teardrop on the cold oceans of eternity. It's too short to share that time with people who won't respect yours, and yet eternally long when shared with people doing beautiful and creative things."

"Start building skills, credentials, money, contacts. Study some history to see what's possible. Study rationality and learn how to think. Learn practical skills, like how to do arithmetic fast, type fast, get along with people, negotiate. Establish good habits."

-----
Shi'Tare'
#thekataregirl

Comments

Popular Posts